My Ideal

A friend is in town for the week. He has been a friend for about 10 years. We began with IMs and emails, a phone call every once in awhile. He is married and has 3 kids, 2 girls and a boy. He knows about my kids, 3 boys. We have chatted about everything in life. I would call him a good friend. We have talked about the good times in our lives and the not so good times. Tonight he told me, he will become a grandfather in October, JD is only 46. His son promised this wouldn't happen, getting his girlfriend pregnant. As we know things happen! I could see and hear his frustration with his son but also the love, compassion and the strong support he will give to his son when the baby arrives and beyond that into the future. Its something I felt and saw.

We had drinks and dinner together tonight. He is one of those techie guys. He tried to explain the classes he is taking but it is useless to explain to me, so I just nodded my head in agreement. What I realized driving home was, he is the type of guy I wish my sons had for a dad. The way he is supporting his son with the gfs pregnancy, the support he gave to his daughter as she leaves tomorrow for a semester in Italy, and I could just see it and hear it in his voice, the pride and love. I wish my sons had JD as a dad. I believe that is part of their life that is lacking. A male figure that supports them, had their back as they progress through life. Its tough to be 2 parents when I have no clue how to be a guy/dad.

I am glad JD is in town, hopefully we will have another dinner together before he heads home.

No comments:

Post a Comment